Maltego is an open source intelligence and forensics application. It allows you to mine and gather information, and represent the information in a meaningful way. The word "open source" in Maltego means that it gathers information from the open source resources; it does not mean that Maltego is open source software.
Maltego allows you to enumerate Internet infrastructure information, such as:
• Domain names
• DNS names
• Whois information
• Network blocks
• IP addresses
It can also be used to gather information about people, such as:
• Companies and organizations related to the person
• E-mail address related to the person
• Websites related to the person
• Social networks related to the person
• Phone numbers related to the person
There are more than 70 transforms available in Maltego. The word "transform" refers to the information gathering phase done by Maltego.